Morris chairs 2, arm mortises…

In my design the legs are attached to the arms with wedged through-tenons which will be trimmed flush with the arm’s surface. First I cut the tenons on the top of the legs and then proceded to cut the mortises in the arms. The pic below is of the first mortise, started with a forstner bit and trimmed square with a sharp chisel. The beer is for safety.


This pic is of the through tenon (before being drilled and slotted for wedges) through the squared mortise. At this point the mortise is just a square hole, cut 90° to the to the top of the arm.


To allow a wedged tenon to spread open (and give the joint it’s strength) the mortise now needs to be bevelled. I used a block of hickory cut at 3° as a guide and pared away the top of the mortise on the two sides I will be spreading the tenon towards.

IMG_0592_optiNow to finish the tenons…



Morris chairs…

This fall I told my wife I’d build us a rocking chair of her choice for us to rock our soon to be born baby in (this is our first child and due in April). After looking at a few styles she chose a morris chair.

I’ve only helped to build a couple of chairs and none were rockers, so I did a decent amount of research before coming up with a design. The one I settled on is pretty close to an old Stickley design, with a few proportional changes. I decided to build two chairs, one a rocker and one not. Given the time involved in set-up and the jigs to be made, I guessed it would only add another 1/3 of the time to build a second chair. The second chair will be for sale when they’re done.

I purchased the quarter-sawn white oak lumber from Sears Trostel in Fort Collins- they had a great selection and I picked through it to get the best boards I could find. For fabric we chose an authentic William Morris design printed in England by Laura’s Beau. For a William Morris fabric the price was fantastic and they somehow had it affordably shipped here in 3 business days. How is that possible?

Through a number of posts I’ll show some of the progress of the chairs…


Another Mudroom

I did this mudroom a couple of years ago- it’s very similar the the Fridy mudroom. Sorry the pics are kind of tight, the room is pretty small and I had a hard time getting a good angle. In a space that used to be for a washer and dryer, the bench floats on the same corbel design as the Fridy’s but this one has a shoe shelf instead of drawers. Other changes are a slightly more modern design, bench top material and a door for access to the old washer hook-up. Materials are mdf, 3/4″ birch ply, poplar and sapele.

© New Butterfield, All Rights Reserved © New Butterfield, All Rights Reserved IMG_2453_opti IMG_2452_opti


Deschenes dining table

Here are a few preliminary pics of a table I made for some friends. The base is maple and poplar in milk paint and maple stain. The top is curly ambrosia maple with TransFast dye and boiled linseed oil. Both the base and top are sealed with shellac and top-coated with Target coatings water-bourne lacquer.

The top is expandable with two slide-in company boards, I’ll get pics of the full set up later on.

P1010467_opti P1010463_opti IMG_0407_opti IMG_0404_opti IMG_0393_opti